Thursday, May 28, 2009

New Megadeth album, my thoughts

As you probably know Megadeth have completed work on their as yet untitled twelfth studio album, needless to say I wait with abated breath.
Yesterday, I saw an update on deth’s site from Chris Broderick about the album, the usual – it sounds great blah blah blah, they all say that. But, I have no doubt that it will be a great record considering the quality of 2007’s United Abominations.

But, what I want to discuss is what the record will be like, now with Chris Broderick in the ranks. Again, as you probably know, Broderick is a fucking incredible guitarist, his ability and technicality is just astonishing. I got a chance to see him play last February on Priest Feast, which despite some sound problems was amazing. What will he bring to the table in Megadeth though?



I don’t think I’m being unfair when I say Dave Mustaine has one of the biggest egos in metal! But…. from seeing live footage and of course at Priest Feast there’s been somewhat of a change in him. Firstly, he looks like he’s actually enjoying himself on stage and the chemistry between himself and Broderick was great as well as with Drover and Lomenzo.

Secondly, he seems much more humble judging from interviews I’ve read and seen. So what I’m trying to say is that perhaps Mustaine felt freer to loosen his reins of control in the writing and recording process, and be much more open minded to new ideas from Broderick.

I’ve also heard arguments saying he should have stayed with Nevermore, what for though? He was a touring guitarist; he didn’t contribute anything to the writing. Jeff Loomis will always write the riffs and solos there. It will, I feel, always be Warrel Dane and Loomis forming the creative backbone of Nevermore
.

Moving to Megadeth was the much better choice for Chris Broderick. His abilities will receive much more attention and recognition, and rightly so. Also, given the right circumstances like I mentioned, explore and develop his playing and writing skills as a full time guitarist (in what is a classic band).

This album will more than likely be one of the finest you’ll hear this year and has the potential to be one of the best in the last decade given the current line up. But of course, time will tell.

So, those are my thoughts I guess. The album is scheduled for release in September, when there are more details I’ll have them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment